BY-LAWS AND RULES AND REGULATIONS
OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
PORT JERVIS FREE LIBRARY
(Revised, October 2002)
Article 1 - OFFICERS
A. Officers of the Board of Trustees shall include the following: President; Vice President; Secretary; Treasurer; to be chosen at the first convened meeting of the fiscal year (the Annual Meeting).
B. The Board shall also include on additional member.
C. All Board members shall be elected as noted below under Article 3, "Elections.”
D. Duties shall include:
Shall reside over Board meetings.
Shall appoint citizens from the community to serve, in the event of a Board resignation or other emergency.
Shall call special meetings as needed.
2. Vice President
Shall preside in the absence of the President.
Shall record minutes of each Board meeting.
Shall oversee the financial records of the Library.
E. Other Board duties include:
1. Setting and/or approving policies and policy changes.
2. Overseeing the budget and expenditures.
3. Hiring the Library Director.
4. Interviewing full-time staff candidates, and other part-time candidates if feasible.
Article II SCHEDULE FOR BOARD MEETING
A. Meeting will take place on the second Monday each month at 9:00 a.m. in the Library.
B. The Board President if necessary may change the meeting date and time.
C. Special meetings may be called to deal with special circumstances, as needed.
D. The annual meeting of the Board will take place at the July meeting, the start of the new fiscal year.
E. No Board member shall miss four consecutive meetings, unless excused.
Article III ELECTION OF TRUSTEES TO BOARD
A. Trustees are elected to the Library Board at the annual June budget election held in the Library.
B. The terms of office, which are for a five-year term, rotate, so that one new trustee is elected each year.
C. Trustees who have served one or more terms are eligible for re-election.
D. The President appoints a replacement to the Board in the vent that a Trustee cannot complete his/her five-year term.
E. Trustees do not pay fines or copier fees.
Article IV STAFFING
A. Library Director
Qualifications should comply with New York State standards for certification, degrees, and experience for a library of similar size and importance.
The Board in accordance with sound library practice establishes duties. These include:
1. Reporting to the Board at its regular monthly meetings.
2. Informing the Board more frequently, if needed, to keep Board aware of activities and possibilities, which might need Board action.
3. Promulgating suitable library goals as guidelines, within Board policies.
4. Establishing (revamping when necessary) procedures for regular library duties.
5. Preparing and annual budget for Board review.
6. Insuring proper reporting to the Board of the library's fiscal and statistical status.
7. "Networking” with the community and with other libraries as much as possible.
B. Other Staffers
1. Full-time staffers are subject to Port Jervis Civil Service rules and regulations.
The Board interviews prospective candidates and is active in the selection process.
2. Part-time staffers, who are considered as included in the Civil Service's "non-competitive” class, are hired by the Director, who may wish to involve the Board in the decision process.
REVISION TO BY-LAWS
REMOVE ITEM C. TRUSTEES WHO HAVE SERVED ONE OR MORE TERMS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR RE-ELECTION.
TRUSTEES PAST, PRESENT, OR FUTURE WILL NO PAY ANY COSTS OR CHARGES ASSESSED BY THE LIBRARY SUCH AS COPIER FEES, FINES, RENTING MOVIES, CASSETTES, ETC. PAST TRUSTEES ARE GRANDFATHERED FOR LIFE BY THIS CLAUSE IF A CHANGE IS MADE IN THIS ITEM.