Just for Kids
Check the Events & Classes page for more information.
Today's Libraries are so much more then books!
The Children's room at the Port Jervis Free Library will suprise you! We offer programs for all ages.Today's library is ever evolving and we strive to stay with the times. Just take a moment to look at our events calender and you will find that new programs and info session are available constantly. Need something to do with the kids after school? Try Fun Friday. Looking for something fun to do with friends? Try our Trivia Night. Do Legos drive you nuts, but your kids love them? Bring them to a Lego Buddy Build. Those are just a few of the programs on our ever growing list.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Giving Young Children the Tools to Become Successful Readers
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a new library program that encourages all Port Jervis library families and caregivers to read 1,000 books with their young children before they enter kindergarten.
Studies have shown that families who start reading aloud to their children at birth help strengthen their language skills and build their vocabulary — two important tools when they begin learning to read in kindergarten.
How does 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten work?
• Register – At the Port Jervis Free Library and take home your first reading log. Each child will have a rocket with his or her name on it that will fly around the Children’s Room, tracking their progress.
• Track Your Reading – Each time you read a book with your child, fill in a star on the reading log. You can read the same book multiple times and fill in a star each time you read it. Books read at Story Time also count, so be sure to color in stars for those books as well.
• Show us Your Reading Logs – When you reach 100 books (and every 100 books thereafter), bring in your reading log, and we’ll take a photo of your child celebrating their progress and move their rocket to its next stop. You will also receive your next log. At various steps along the way, we will also be giving out small incentives to keep you and your child excited about reading together.
• You can also use the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten app to track your reading.
How Can I Read 1,000 Books?
3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095 books
1 book a day for 3 years = 1,095 books
Summer Reading Program
2020: Imagine Your Story
Since 1934 the Port Jervis Free Library has been offering the Summer Reading Program to patrons of all ages.Traditionally, summer reading programs are designed to encourage elementary-aged children to keep reading during summer vacation. Preventing the “summer slide” continues to be the main objective of summer reading programs. For many families with elementary-aged children, the public library is the only community space available during the summer months where they can access free educational and cultural enrichment activities and programs.
The benefits of summer reading programming for children:
- Children are motivated to read.
- Children develop positive attitudes about reading, books, and the library.
- Children maintain their reading skills during summer vacation.
- Children have access to experiences that further their sense of discovery.
- Children have access to experiences through which they can learn to work cooperatively.
Follow our Facebook Page for updates
Follow us on Social Media